Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

u03d1 Prenatal and Postnatal Development Complications ~ Discussion post

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Missanthropy
Admin
Missanthropy

Female Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2008-04-22

u03d1 Prenatal and Postnatal Development Complications ~ Discussion post Empty
PostSubject: u03d1 Prenatal and Postnatal Development Complications ~ Discussion post   u03d1 Prenatal and Postnatal Development Complications ~ Discussion post I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Your text describes the effect of teratogens on prenatal development, and also reviews some postnatal development complications that can result from factors such as low birth weight.

• Based on what you have learned in this unit, how would you counsel
    someone who was considering pregnancy or was already pregnant about the factors that affect prenatal development, such as teratogens and other influences?
  • How would you counsel women to lessen the impact of postnatal complications such as low birth weight or preterm birth?

Hello Class,

After reading the text on Prenatal Development and Birth, there is a lot of important information I would share with an expecting mother or a woman who is thinking about becoming pregnant.

Having had two every complicated pregnancies myself while carrying my two girls, I became all to familiar with suffering from Gestational Diabetes, Toxemia & Preeclampsia: Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. Preeclampsia is a condition of having high blood pressure during your pregnancy. The third trimester of both my pregnancies were very stressful on me and my doctor recommended bed rest and relaxation because Preeclampsia can prevent the placenta from getting enough blood. If the placenta doesn't get enough blood, your baby gets less oxygen and food and this can result in babies being born with low birth weight.

If I was to counsel a woman who was considering becoming pregnant or was pregnant, the most important thing I would recommend is to make sure they gets the best post and prenatal care possible. It is so important to have a doctor advice and monitor pregnancies from beginning to full term. Educating mothers during every stage of their pregnancies of all the joys and possible outcomes as well as potential harmful complications that may arise is the best thing you can do for yourself as a mother and for the life of your unborn child to ensure the best chances of having a healthy babies or babies.

Teratogens are substances, such as viruses and drugs that can cause birth defects (Boyd & Bee, 2009). Discussing drug use and even over the counter medication with expecting mothers can educated them on the risks of using such drugs and the effects it could possibly have on the fetus. I think every mother wants nothing more then to protect the life of their children and should be aware of the risks involved when it comes to whatever medications they take, bet it prescribed or not. Any drug, including many whose safety we take for granted (e.g.,antibiotics), can be teratogenic (Boyd & Bee, 2009). Another reason why it is so important to be under a doctors strict supervision throughout the entire course of your pregnancy.

Illegal drug use, smoking and alcohol can have terrible effects on a fetus, and woman who are addicted to such drugs should seek help in quitting as soon as possible to protect the life of an unborn child and to lessen the chances of giving birth to children with low birth weight and other side effects that come along with giving birth to an infant who could also suffer from withdrawals to such addictions.
Other subjects I would discuss with any mother to be that could influence prenatal development is diet, age, chronic illnesses, environmental hazards and maternal emotions. All of these factors could effect the babies development. Having a good doctor's support and guidance through all the stages of your pregnancy can make all the difference in making sure you have a healthy happy pregnancy and delivery.

The birth of a child, becoming a mother, a father or sibling is truly a blessing and a joyous time to be remembered in life, forever. The best thing to do during this time is to enjoy every minute of it while it lasts and relax, with the proper guidance and care starting a family could be the most memorable experiences of a lifetime. Smile

~ Nessa

Boyd, D. & Bee, H., (2009). Lifespan Development. 5th ed., Boston, MA., Pearson.
Back to top Go down
http://therealm.forumotion.com

u03d1 Prenatal and Postnatal Development Complications ~ Discussion post
Page 1 of 1