Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Missanthropy
Admin
Missanthropy

Female Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2008-04-22

u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories Empty
PostSubject: u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories   u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:09 am

In this unit, you have studied
multiple theories related to lifespan development. For this discussion,
select at least two theories and analyze them by applying the theories
to your life, or to someone you know.

• Do you feel these theories accurately represent your development or that of the person you have selected? Why or why not?
  • Do you feel these theories have helped you to more fully understand your personal developmental experiences?
In your answer, include the following:

• Either: Refer to and integrate ideas presented in
    the text and supplemental information. Cite the textbook at least twice
    within your discussion.
  • Or: Cite at least one scholarly resource from the
    Capella library to support your discussion. Do not use Internet Web
    sites such as Wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
http://therealm.forumotion.com
Missanthropy
Admin
Missanthropy

Female Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2008-04-22

u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories Empty
PostSubject: Re: u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories   u02d1 Lifespan Development Theories I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello Class,

For this discussion I have decided to analyze Erikson's Psychosocial Theory and Vygotsky's Sociocultural Theory.

The key idea underlying Erikson's theory is that each new crisis is thrust on the developing person because of changes in social demands that accompany changes in age (Boyd & Bee, 2009). I can relate very well to his psychological stages presented in the course text. I have gone through almost each of these stages so far in my lifetime. From the "identity versus confusion" stage, going through high school, finding myself making life changes decisions on what the future holds for me career wise, coming to terms with my mature sexuality phase. Then moving into "Intimacy versus Isolation" stage where I evolved from adolescent love into finding a more mature stable relationship to move forward with and get married and decide to raise a family of my own. And the stage I am currently at now, the " Generativity versus Stagnation" stage, where I focus on my occupational achievements and teaching my children to be the best students they can be in school, more family orientated social activities have replaced the once care-free spirited ones of my past.

Erikson's theory of life development seems right on the mark when it comes to evaluating and understanding each stage of life everyone must go through at one time or other throughout the course of ones lifetime.

In studying Vygotsky's work next, his sociocultural theory asserts that complex forms of thinking have their origins in social interactions rather than in an individual's private explorations (Boyd & Bee, 2009). I can see this scaffolding aspect come into play as I raise my youngest daughter Jessica, when it comes to helping her with her homework daily, and adjusting to other everyday activities as she advances in age, from graduating from her tricycle to a bicycle without training wheels, and to the way her older sister Savanna teaches her new things; like dealing with bullying at school as well as other numerous factors that come into play at her age. Her older sister is her role model and best friend, and she looks up to us both for guidance and support. I myself was an only child so I did a lot of self realizing and exploring on my own as I grew up without any sibling nurturing, nor very much parental guidance as both my parents worked extensive hours at their jobs leaving me with other relatives till the wee hours of night each week. I feel it is so important to be there for your children, when ever they may need you. Which is why I have decided to be a stay at home mom for the passed eight years and provide my children with the security and constant support they need to develop into well rounded young adults.

But, having read all of the theories in the text for this discussion post, I can honestly say as well as I can relate to the two theories I have discussed above. All the theories described hold a valid interpretation on the best ways to really look at and understand life span development. Though not everyone may fall under the same categories at all times, understanding the combined theories can really give everyone a broader perspective on how we can all educate ourselves and give us a better understanding of lifespan development.

~ Nessa

Reference:

Boyd, D., & Bee, H. (2009). Lifespan development (5th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Back to top Go down
http://therealm.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1